When a new Guest User is added to a EUM Group, a Group Welcome Email is triggered. If it is not getting triggered, then there a few places that can be checked.
- Is the Guest User successfully added to the Group?
- Is the Group Welcome Email enabled?
- Is the Office 365 API Connection authenticated and still valid?
Is the Guest User Successfully added to the Group?
If the Guest User who did not receive the Group Welcome Email is not successfully added to the Group, the Group Welcome email will not be triggered. Usually if EUM fails to run the complete process of adding a user to a group, it displays an Error message. The process consists of
- Adding the user to the Azure AD Security group that the EUM Group corresponds to
- Adding the user to a SharePoint group is EUM group is configured to do so
If any of the above two actions fail while adding the user to a group, EUM will display an error message and the Group Welcome email would not be triggered. If the error message was missed, you can still check if the user was properly added to the group.
- Please login to EUM Admin
- Please click Search Users in the left hand menu
- In the Search User form, please put in the new user's email and click Search
- Click on the user in the search result to view the User Details page
- Navigate to the Groups tab
- If the concerned group is displayed in the Group Memberships list, then the user is added to the corresponding Azure AD Group
- Click the group to go to the Group Details page for the concerned group
- If the Group Details shows SharePoint Site Collection URL, and SharePoint Group, then the user should also be added to that SharePoint group for the Group Welcome email to be triggered.
- If the EUM Group is associated to a SharePoint site, navigate to the SharePoint site and login as a site Admin
- Click the gear icon in the top right of the SharePoint site. The gear icon may take a few seconds to load. Select Site Permissions once the Settings expand upon clicking the gear icon.
- Click "Advanced permissions settings"
- Click Check Permissions in the top menu
- Type in the User email and click "Check Now". If no results are found, then the user was not added to the SharePoint group. Therefore the process of adding the user to a group remained incomplete, and hence the Group Welcome Email was not triggered.
Related FAQ: Error While Adding User to a Group
Is the Group Welcome Email enabled?
Out of the box EUM has the Group Welcome Email disabled. When you create a EUM Group, you must enable and configure the Group Welcome email to be triggered..
- Please login to EUM Admin and click Search Groups in the left hand Menu. Type in the group name in the form for a filtered search, or just click Search to see all groups. Click the concerned group from the results.
- Within the Group Details page, navigate to the Welcome Email tab
- Check if the Group Welcome Email is enabled.
- If not enabled, enable that and put in a Email Subject and Body and click Save.
Is the Office 365 API Connection authenticated and still valid?
What account would you like to send welcome emails from? This could be a Service Account in your Azure AD that has a O365 Email License. Please check if the EUM O365 API Connection is authenticated with that user. If your EUM is hosted by Envision IT, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to know if the O365 API Connection is authenticated. If EUM is hosted in your Azure Tenant, please follow the below steps:
- Login to EUM Admin as a Global Admin or a EUM Resource Group Owner or Contributor
- In the left hand Menu click Azure AD
- Click Resource Group
- This will redirect you to the EUM Resource Group within Azure Portal
- Find the office365 API Connection and click it
- If an Error is displayed, then either it was never authenticated, or the authentication is no longer valid. The API Connection is needed to be authenticated with the account you would like to send welcome emails from.
- If the error is seen, click "Edit API Connection" in the left hand menu
- Click "Authorize"
- This will open a Microsoft prompt to login. Use the credentials of the account you would like to send welcome emails from to login.
- Once authenticated, click Save